UCU is the largest trade union and professional association for academics, lecturers, trainers, researchers and academic-related staff working in further and higher education throughout the UK. As well as organising national campaigns, the Union provides a variety of benefits for its members including training sessions on everything from tackling workplace harassment to understanding how the trade union movement can help oppose climate change.
Here at UEA we are committed to representing our members and ensuring that they feel supported by their union. We do this in a variety of ways:
- Caseworkers are available to help individual members if they are concerned about an issue in their workplace or want to be represented at meetings with line managers or HR
- Working groups have been established to explore how we can tackle the increasing casualisation of staff here at UEA and fight back against increasing demands on our workload. Please let us know if you would like to join these groups or if you feel we should establish a new group on a topic of interest to the sector/UEA
- We have dedicated items on the agenda of each monthly committee meeting that deal with issues raised by members (you can send these to firstname.lastname@example.org or pass these on to the rep in your department)
- Elected officers raise the concerns of members with the Executive Team via regular meetings of the Joint Consultative Committee. You can access the minutes of these meetings here (UEA log-in required).
- The branch holds annual elections to ensure that elected officers continue to represent the best interests of the membership
- Hold regular events, including general meetings, where individual members can propose motions, discuss issues, and ask questions of the committee
- Adhere to our own local constitution and set of rules and procedures (begins word doc download)
If you have any questions about the UCU@UEA branch, please get in touch with us via email (email@example.com) or twitter (@UEA_UCU). If you wish to contact one of our elected officers directly, then check out the latest committee listing here.