We’re collecting images that illustrate the issues in the campaign to defend pensions & higher education. Here’s a couple we like, & if you’re handy with Photoshop (other image editing software is available), have a go & send us your contribution by 20th November. (PS from a librarian, as academics I’m sure you will all ensure your image is copyright cleared!)
The presence of the union’s campaign was again visible around campus this week, with posters displayed on staff doors & a campaign stall in the square on Wednesday.
What can you do?
• On a Wednesday, pledge a half hour to UCU’s stall in the Square bringing the message to the students – contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can spare 30 minutes between 12-2!
• Follow the example of a Law lecturer and extend the life of the ‘working to contract’ sticker by making it a button badge
• Set up an email auto-response to highlight that delays may occur while you’re working to contract, OR at least add it to your email signature – see examples here http://defenduss.web.ucu.org.uk/2011/reclaiming-your-hours/ or cut & paste from the foot of this message
• Display an image on your presentations to alert students to the campaign.
• It’s half term, get home from work in time to see the kids!
Remember, if you have any queries about what is within contract, UCU has put together extensive FAQs: http://defenduss.web.ucu.org.uk/faqs/
Elsewhere…We like the pensions cake idea that St Andrews came up with http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5787
Let’s show off UEA’s creative abilities and come up with something similar!
UCU@UEA committee would love to hear your ideas for activities to highlight the campaign. And if you’d like to be more involved, please get in touch via email@example.com .
Sample email signature:
PLEASE NOTE: I am participating in UCU industrial action by ‘working to contract’ to defend my pension. To find out more about this dispute click here: